What's Cooking Wednesday -Homemade Soba Bowls

Modified from Racheal Ray...

Soba Bowls

1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
3 handfuls shredded carrots *I used stir fry mix (carrots broccoli and peapods)

10 mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
1 large zucchini or 2 small, cut into half moons and sliced 1/2-inch thick
1 large bok choy, cored and chopped
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 cup fresh bean sprouts, optional * I did not use these
1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
1/2 tablespoon ground coriander *didn't have this.
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
Cayenne pepper, a pinch
Tamari (dark soy sauce) *I just used regular

I chose to add about half a pound of pork strips, thinly sliced for the carnivores in my family.

What's Cooking Wednesday- Soba Bowls


Place a large pot of water over high heat and bring up to a boil to cook the spaghetti. Once boiling, add some salt and the spaghetti and cook until al dente, according to package directions. Drain and toss with a little bit of vegetable oil.

While the water is coming up to a boil to cook the spaghetti, place a large soup pot over medium-high heat and add 2 turns of the pan of vegetable oil, about 2 tablespoons. Add the onion, garlic and shredded carrots and cook until the onions start to get tender, about 4-5 minutes.

Add the mushrooms, zucchini and bok choy and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add stock, bring up to a bubble then simmer for 5 minutes. Add the bean sprouts the last minute.

In a small bowl, combine the toasted sesame seeds, ground coriander, chili powder and cayenne pepper and reserve for garnishing the soup.

To serve, place some of the spaghetti in a soup bowl and season it with a couple of splashes of tamari.

Ladle the veggies and soup over the noodles. Sprinkle the sesame mixture on top and serve.


This served at least 6 for us. Although the recipe says it serves four. I did not exactly measure my vegetables going in, so that could be why. I also used a whole small package of whole wheat spaghetti.

REVIEWS: We had some mixed opinions on this one. All of us enjoyed it (3 adults, no kids, lol) However my hubby wanted more meat. I am just trying to get accustomed to actually eating vegetables, so while I enjoyed it, I was not in love with it.

Over all 4/5 stars!

6 comments:

Julie said...

Ok, this was absolutely wonderful heated up for lunch the next day!

Tasha & Colin said...

Yeah, I'm not sure if I could handle all those vegetables!! yuck!! Looks like something Colin would LOVE!

Anonymous said...

I loved it. Could have used a bit a bit more heat- like in spice- but it had great flavour and the veggies were awesome. Didn't need more meat though.... 4/5 stars...

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious Julie, cant wait to make it myself!!! Yumm Love Mom

Shan said...

This looks great. I'll have to give it a try. Soup recipes have been pretty popular around here these days. Might have something to do with 7 straight days of wind chill warnings.

gadgetgrl said...

Ok I am craving it again and it has only been a couple of days now. Lol I read over the changes you made really quickly last time. The stir fry mix made it awesome- I think better then the carrots would be. 1 Lb would be about 454 grams which sounds right to me for a normal package of ww spagetti- Huge portions!I'd put the sprouts and coriander in next time since I love those. I always get extra bean sprouts( they put them on the side and you add to your bowl) with my pho at the vietnemese resturant