My first edition of "What's Cooking Wednesday"

Borrowed from my friend Shannon, I thought that with the new year, I would try this out. Not guaranteeing it will last very long though, but we will try it out!

I thought that it would be a great way to get my boys involved in the kitchen, and spend some quality family time together. We had been doing something similar, but I wanted to just stick to one day a week.

So, last night we made our first attempt!

Spinach and Cheese Frittata


Spinach and Cheese Frittata

2 large egg(s)
2 large egg white(s)
1 cup spinach, fresh, baby leaves, chopped
2 Tbsp scallion(s), finely chopped ( I used 1 1/2 tbsp of Epicure's 3 onion dip mix instead)
1/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
cooking spray
1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese (I used cheddar and mozz)


Preheat oven to 400°F. Beat together eggs and egg whites in large bowl. Stir in spinach, scallion, salt and pepper.


Coat a 12-inch in ovenproof, nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat. Pour egg mixture into skillet and cook 5 minutes or until partially set.


Sprinkle cheese over eggs. Bake until cheese softens and eggs firm up, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 1 minute before cutting in 8 wedges. Yields 2 pieces per serving.

This is also 4 points per serving. (I am back on my need to lose weight kick again)

Overall, I give this recipe 4/5 stars. My boys ate it, which AMAZED me!! Served it up with some bacon and toast on the side, and it was very well received.

So Success for our first attempt! Thanks for the idea Shan!

YUM!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fritatta? Is that what it was called? Whatever it was, it was really good. I highly recommend it.

Not the best pic of my boys ever though.

Dave

Shan said...

Hey Julie!! Glad to see you participating. This looks like a great recipe. I'll have to give it a try.

Funny, we had strata for dinner tonight, which take away the bread is pretty much the same thing.

Anonymous said...

I thought the pictures of the boys is priceless!!

Jon Coutts said...

good lookin food, good lookin boys, good parenting too!

man i wish i could whip up one of those fritatta's for my colts game tomorrow.

gadgetgrl said...

yummm looks good. Great idea chickee

Sam said...

Seems like a great way to get the kids to eat Spinach. Great way for me to get the husband to eat it too!