So why not get a "real" job?

Ive had this question tossed at me a few times by people who wonder why I don't just go out like the rest of the world and find something day to day that is more stable than what I am doing now.

(and by right now, for those who don't know, I work from home as both a photo retoucher/designer, and recently I became a Shaklee Distributor)

Well, lets start with some background about me.

I had my first son when I was 20. (Just turned 20) and I never went to college. When people were figuring out what they wanted to be when they grew up, I was growing up. I had to. I learned all about what it meant to be responsible for another life, far before I ever really experienced my own.

I have never regretted that. Having my sons when I did has given me a very full and amazing life. In fact, I believe that I had my boys exactly when I was supposed to, because just after the birth of my youngest, I was diagnosed with BIH/PTC, and told I would not be able to have any more children.

Both my boys are now in school full time, and I can say proudly, that for the most part, I was fortunate enough to stay home and be around for them for the majority of their young life.

So, why keep not go find a career now?

Well, its pretty simple. In the past 13 years, I have had the opportunity to make my own hours. (Even though they often occured at 3 am nightmares, 1 am flu runs etc)

I have been spoiled by the absolute amazing feeling of knowing if the day gets too hard I can do it in my pajamas, or if I feel the need to be creative I can cook a three course meal in the middle of the day for my family.

I enjoy knowing that if one of my boys are sick, I am here at home for them to come home to.

I have had jobs I have loved out of my home. I have worked as a florist, a child and parent resource worker, and several other little jobs in my life and I have for the most part enjoyed them. I have always had great relationships with co-workers and I do know that I CAN work in a normal environment, I just CHOOSE not to.

So, why do I make that choice?

Let's talk about the joy of self-employment.

If I wanted to start a business of my own, I would need:

-capital/investment
-insurance
-a building (rent/lease)
-a viable business idea
-employees

Working for myself, with both my retouching and Shaklee, especially with Shaklee, for my small investment, I get ALL of these things.

I don't make a steady strong income. Not yet anyway. I do believe that it is possible though, and I do believe that at some point my decisions to persevere will be rewarded.

I could go work at another Tim Hortons and make the same money, but then...maybe Ill just continue to sit here and sip my homemade Gingerbread Latte in my pajamas while the wind gusts outside, and be thankful and glad that I am...

A Work at Home Mom.


Disclaimer:
I am so thankful for a husband that is understanding and supportive in my life decisions. I could not do this without him.

Here is a video of another "Mom" who is an inspiration to me in Shaklee, after 10 years of being just a mom, she decided to take a risk...




2 comments:

Erin L said...

I totally agree Julie, being a work at home mom is my decision too. (Also could not be done without the support of my wonderful husband) Life is too short to not take some chances and break out on your own. I believe that you will be successful, if YOU believe it :)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes being a STHM is more cost effective. If you had a outside job you have to subtract, travel expenses (gas, parking or public transit), coffee break runs and meals, clothing for the job, before and after school care. At the end of the day are you really making any money? After factoring this in I feel staying home and doing without the big house, the fancy vacations, the expensive dinners out is worth more.